The modular commercial pilot training program in the European Union according to EASA rules provides for initial training and obtaining a private aviation pilot license - PPL.
ATPL frozen. Steps to prepare a private pilot license (PPL) student to obtain a commercial pilot license (frozen ATPL).
1. At the first stage, the student performs training flights independently on a Tacnam P-2008JC VFR aircraft to gain piloting skills and experience communicating with air traffic control services. The number of training hours depends on previous PPL hours flown. The average required flight volume is about 100 hours. It is carried out on the basis of the ERIVA flight school at Adazi Airport (Riga).
2. At the second stage, in parallel with flying, the student studies the theory for a transport pilot - ATP (airline transport pilot theory). The program is designed for 650 hours of self-study based on computer software (CBT). At the same time, the school instructor regularly conducts classes in the classroom to answer students' questions. The training ends with passing an exam at the ERIVA flight school (passing score - 80%) and then an exam at the CAA - Civil Aviation Agency of Latvia (passing score - 75%). The time it takes to study ATP theory depends on the student’s efforts and the time spent on classes every day. A student who actively masters the educational material is able to complete the theory in 6 months.
3. At the third stage, upon reaching the total minimum flight hours of practical training on an airplane - 144 hours, the student receives training in the flight program on a twin-engine airplane - MEP class rating - 6 hours, then the basic module of instrumental flight training is completed - ME IR BIFM - 5 hours. The third stage is carried out at Tours airport (France) at the ERIVA flight school for 6 days.
4. At the fourth stage, the student completes training under the instrumental flight program on the FNPT II simulator - 30-35 hours (ME IR BIFM, ME IR PIFM). At the same time, the student undergoes training in the night flight program - Night Rating VFR - 5 hours, as well as flights in the module for commercial pilots - CPL VFR - 10 hours. Training is carried out at the ERIVA flight school at Adazi Airport (Riga) and at the ERIVA FNPTII training center in Skulte, near Riga Airport. Preparation time is approximately 22 days, depending on weather conditions and the student’s readiness to master the program.
5. At the fifth stage, the student completes the instrument flight training program - ME IR PIFM - 10-15 hours, and by this time must be ready to pass the qualifying exam for a commercial pilot license - LST (licensing skill test). The stage is carried out at Tours airport (France on the basis of the ERIVA flight school) for 5 days.
6. Stage six – combined qualification test under the CPL, MEP CR, ME IR programs – 2.5 hours for the right to obtain a commercial pilot license (LST). The stage is performed by a CAA examiner at Tours airport (France) at the ERIVA flight school within 1 day.